Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Want a Bailout

It seems that the government has spent the last six months bailing everyone out with our children’s taxes, and it appears that the American people have had enough. Or is it that Congress finally agrees with the American people that enough is enough. This week the executives from AIG, the company which started this whole “Economic Downturn”, were dragged in front Congress to explain why, after receiving billions in bailout money, they decided to pay over $160 million in bonuses to the very people that had a hand in the failure of the company, and the collapse of all things economic.
Many of us are wondering why we have to pay to bailout others who walk away with millions when we get nothing. The answer is not because it’s the best thing for the county, or because it’s the “right thing to do”. The answer is “We voted for it.” That right. We all got together last November and told the government that we were not happy with what was going on. We put people in office who we believed would do what was best for our county. Some voted for change, some didn’t. Some voted because Oprah told us too. And some of us chose not to say anything at all and let others pick for us.
No matter how we did it. We did it. We need to stop pointing fingers and take responsibility for our part. It will not do any good to complain. The only thing that will help is to act. Some of us are already doing what we can. I know many who have saved for years and have paid down their debt. Who make it a point not to use their credit cards unless they already have the money to pay them off.
I know many who provide service. Who spend their time every week with kids who may not have the same great start in life that they were given. I know people who have worked for years to get through school so they could get a good job and buy a modest home.
I also know many who bought cars they could not afford. They buy big screen TV’s and that Xbox they want, but then don’t understand why they pay hundreds every year in interests on their credit cards. I know others who bought homes, big homes, and now are moving out a year or two later and can’t even sell them for a loss.
We have all been affected by the economy. Many I know can’t find jobs. College students can’t get internships, let alone jobs when they graduate. But that does not mean that we should look to someone else to fix it. The housing market crashed. We can’t change that, but we can move towards tomorrow. Stop asking, “When do I get mine?” and start creating it. I would love to have a check handed to me to keep me afloat. And I can get one, if I go to work and earn it. I can follow all the tips and trick I read on the internet on how to save a few bucks. I can create my own economic security, and if I ever need it, I can be my own bailout.

No comments: